Okay, well this may look/sound strange to some of you, but I've been making pies like this for years. They are quick, simple, VERY delicious, and, best of all, made with whole raw food ingredients (no additives), so it's safe for the whole family to enjoy.
This recipe comes from Alissa Cohen, and is in her book "Living on Live Food." Alissa is a raw food chef and consultant. With Brad's allergies, I am so grateful for raw, vegan cookbooks! I can make him wonderful desserts, snacks, and meals using just a few ingredients. It takes little time and has HUGE health benefits, even for those of us without allergy issues.
Forgive me as I digress, but I think nutrition and how the body works is fascinating. Matt Amsden, another raw food chef, has this posted on his website. It's a VERY basic explanation of why everyone should incorporate more fresh fruits and veggies in their diet. I could go on and on (And I might at a later date. Hey, it's my blog. I can say what I want!), but this should suffice for now. :)
The top 3 things that are sapping your energy & compromising your health:
- DEHYDRATION: Our body is over seventy percent water, shouldn't your food choices mirror this? A great way to get a head start on becoming hydrated is to consume food that has not had the natural water removed from it through cooking. Cooked food does nothing to provide your body with much-needed water and dehydrates you further in your bodies attempt to digest it. Everything you put in your stomach needs to be turned into liquid to be digested. How easily is your current diet liquefied?
- MALNUTRITION: Recent data shows that nutritional deficiencies are most often caused by what we eat rather than by what we do not eat. Your current diet may be robbing you of precious vitamins and minerals. A well balanced diet of consciously prepared raw plant foods contains the full compliment of essential vitamins and minerals, while food prepared using conventional methods destroys over 80% of that foods nutrition. Can you afford 80% less nutrition than is naturally found in your food?
- LACK OF ENZYMES: Enzymes are responsible for every metabolic process that takes place in your body from digestion to healing. Most prepared food is served with up to 100% of the natural enzymes destroyed. One hundred percent! When the lipase and amylase enzymes are destroyed, the body cannot digest fats or carbohydrates and they are stored in the body, causing you to gain weight. When you consume living, enzyme rich food, it practically digests itself. This leaves you with a surplus of energy to play harder, work more efficiently and do more of what you love! To learn more from Matt visit www.rawvolution.com.
Okay, onto the recipe!
2 cups of almonds (I used pecans and walnuts work great too)
1 1/2 cups of dates, pitted and soaked until soft
1 cup of strawberries, diced
2 1/2 cups of strawberries
3 very ripe bananas
- In a food processor, blend nuts until fine
- Add dates and blend until smooth
- Place in a bowl and mix in the diced strawberries
- Mold into a pie plate
- Dice 1/2 cup of the strawberries and set aside
- In a food processor blend the remaining 2 cups of strawberries
- Place in a bowl and stir in the diced strawberries
- Pour into crust
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight and serve!
(I made his name out of blueberries.)
This is seriously so good. It tastes like Yoplait yogurt with a nut crust underneath- total hit and guilt-free!
**For more info or recipes from Alissa Cohen, go to http://www.alissacohen.com/!