Monday, September 21, 2009

Homemade Salsa

This is a GREAT recipe, care of my friend Carolyn. :) I modified it a bit due to what I had on hand, but I will post her exact recipe since I can't remember exactly what I did! Almost all of the ingredients came from our garden- we've made about 12 jars of salsa in the past week, and seriously, it is the best salsa I've ever had!!

Ingredients:

  • 12 cups blended tomatoes (she blanches her first and removes the peels, but I didn't do that)
  • 2 bell peppers (I used green)
  • 2 Anaheim peppers
  • 3 jalapeno peppers
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 large onions
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro
  • 2 T sugar, 2 T sea salt, 1 cup of white vinegar (I only put in about a 1/2 cup of the vinegar)

Chop peppers, garlic, onion, and cilantro in the food processor, or if you like it chunkier, by hand. Mix with your blended tomatoes.

Bring to a boil. cook down for about 1 1/2-2 hours.

Place in jars and process them in a water bath canner for 25 minutes. Cool and enjoy!

**Makes about 3 quarts of salsa!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

JenPB said...

YAY! Thanks for sharing this. I think we're one jalapeno short, so I'm goin' for it tomorrow once I glean the garden. :)