We are always looking for dairy-free desserts. We made a big batch of these cookies this week for a friend. I was really impressed with how they turned out. Savanna is the baker in the family, but since she was out most of the week I made these by myself. They were REALLY good!
(makes 48 small cookies)
- 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour (get at any health food store)
- 1/2 Tb baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups of turbinado sugar
- 1 cup of refined coconut oil or melted coconut butter
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of ice water
- 1 Tb of black strap molasses
- 1/2 Tb vanilla extract
- 1 10 oz bag of vegan chocolate chips or carob chips
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
Sift flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl with a mixer mix sugar and oil about 3 minutes until smooth. Add water, molasses, and vanilla mixing until well combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture until almost blended. Add the chocolate chips and nuts mixing until just combined.
Roll into small balls of dough and place 2 " apart on a baking sheet. Flatten out a bit and cook 13-15 minutes at 375 degrees until edges are slightly brown. Cool and Eat!